Local groups and local contacts are the heart of Rising Tide. Our network works to coordinate and build a continental direct action movement for climate justice, but it really comes down to local groups taking action. Whether it’s organizing a community bike shop, blockading a gas station, or fighting a new coal plant, it’s up to all of us taking action in our own communities to bring down the fossil fuel juggernaut.
Rising Tide is built on the principles of decentralized organizing. As a local contact or affiliate group, you get plugged into climate related projects and campaigns that are happening across North America while maintaining full autonomy in what your group chooses to do. There is no central command barking orders at you, nor any membership cards or monthly dues (though we gladly accept donations). All we ask for is a deep commitment to fighting climate change, that you keep in touch with us about your projects, and that you agree to our guiding principles.
If there is a Rising Tide contact in your area, we encourage you to get involved in their efforts. If not, you might consider affiliating with Rising Tide yourself. If you are part of an existing group that would like to join the Rising Tide network, whether you choose to operate under the Rising Tide banner or use a different name, we would love to hear about what you’re up to and how we can work together.
We maintain an email list that connects our local contacts from Mexico City to Ontario, Sonora to Maine. Our local contacts also share a lot of resources, such as:
- Free copies of an extensive list of publications on Climate Justice issues.
- Access to our media contacts and grant writing databases.
- Use of our fiscal sponsor to receive tax-deductible donations and grants.
- Participation in merchandise orders for fundraising, and bulk orders of books, pamphlets, etc.
- Support / involvement in our working groups. This means participation in our upcoming Rising Tide Convergence, access to and involvement in developing materials with the Rising Tide network “think tank,” and trainings from our Action working group.
- Access to our website for posting your news and information, and @RisingTideNorthAmerica.org email addresses.
- Mentoring support from each other. This network includes a lot of experienced action organizers, media trainers, fundraisers, researchers, web-geeks, etc.!
Are you interested in getting involved with a regional RT Chapter or becoming a local contact? Complete this form, or email us local[-AT-]risingtidenorthamerica[-DOT-]org